Monday, September 9, 2013

1 Year Since København

I forgot to document a significant day.



Last week had been 1 year since I left home to live in Copenhagen, Denmark alone for a 5 month soul seeking, academically enriching journey.  

A year ago I would have never shared this photo.  I was so embarrassed by the way it turned out.  I went abroad with expectations of having fabulous hipster photos taken of me drinking coffee in cafes, walking effortlessly around history, and this is what I got. 

I remember being absolutely, 100% uncomfortable that day.  I was trying to be something I wasn't yet.  

My shirt is awkward, my bag was cheap and kept breaking, my hair was ungodly, I had the worst blisters from walking in new shoes that I thought I looked stupid in but I bought them because I thought they looked European...the list could go on forever.  
I also spent $8 on that chai (sorry, Mom).

Regardless of the amount of ways I felt uncomfortable while taking this photo, I can look back now and realize, I was struggling.  But I made it and I'm so thankful for such an amazing experience. 

Skål to my time spent in København

 photo signature_zps19a8b805.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Aw! Happy 1 year post studying abroad. Time hop reminded me of my landing three years ago the other day. And, despite maybe feeling uncomfortable in the photo, you look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks pal! I suppose you are heading back across the pond soon?! Good luck & have FUN! :) xo

      Delete
  2. Love this. I felt the same way when I went to Germany summers ago. I wanted the perfect European experience, and instead, I struggled with fitting in, finding a groove, learning the language, homesickness, you name it. I'm glad you can look back and embrace the moments of uncertainty while you were abroad :) And for the record, you look cute girl!

    Ps. Saw a photo on your Instagram with Katie Langan in it.....small world! I went to Dickinson for a few years before transferring down to Flagler, and she was good friends with my roommate, Fallon Winters. They play field hockey together, Katie's so nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOSH! SMALL WORLD! Katie Langan is my soul friend. We've been best friends since high school. Our grandparents have been friends since the 40's! I'm so happy we made a real life connection !

      And thank you, I'm glad someone else felt the same way about their experience abroad. It was such a trying time and learning experience.

      Delete