Friday, April 11, 2014

Equal Pay Day!

Really jazzed about this week; why? Because women deserve equal pay for equal work.  

Women all over the country have come together to support a great cause, the desire for equal compensation of the same exact job done by a man.  Seems pretty simple, right?  In fact, it almost feels dumb thinking about it.  How do I wrap my brain around the fact that women with the same levels of education as men, doing the same work as men, are paid less than men, just because of gender.  Millennial women can't seem to comprehend that this is still an issue .  I'm guilty of it!  "This is 2014."  "I know that my work is just as valuable, if not more valuable than a man's work."  However, it's true. 
President Obama has signed an executive order to ensure the equal compensation should take place, regardless of gender and sexual orientation.  

I've worked with some wonderful men, and I've worked with some not so wonderful men.  However I've been so lucky to have been surrounded by powerful women who take charge of their everyday, and empower others along the way.  They work hard and diligent and have creative minds that are innovative and inspiring.  Some of my best mentors, supervisors, professors, and friends have been women.  I am so passionate about this issue because I believe that my value as a professor is just as great, or greater than a man.  My gender does not determine my abilities or my hopes and dreams.  

One of my favorite organizations, the Levo League sponsored the day joining with other great organizations such as Bossed Up, Lean In, and The Huffington Post.
Sponsors also included Senator Kristen Gillibrand, Eugenia Koo, Bill McGowan, and Kathy Calvin.  

Here are a few of my favorite images that they circulated throughout the day.  




Don't forget to #Ask4More

Where are you in your career?  Have you asked for more?  


 photo signature_zps19a8b805.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment